Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Smoker You Drink, the Player You Get!



I was coming home from yoga last night and I plugged in a CD I made a few weeks back. After listening to Ten Years After, Toto and Queen, one of my favorite tracks came on from one of my favorite bands. "Stop" by the James Gang. For some reason, this live guitar sound, to me, is one of the most rockin' around! Joe Walsh plays his Gibson Les Paul Standard gold top through a Vox wah pedal into a Marshall amp.

"Stop, baby can't you see that I can't take it no more..."

Trouble was I couldn't recreate his sound. One day I was messing around and accidentally created that live sound by turning off the speed, delay time and depth of my DOD Stereo Chorus. The sound came out compressed and tight. Sounded exactly like Joe Walsh on the live album! I play the song using my Les Paul into the Vox wah, through the chorus pedal and on into the Marshall.

Joe has had a helluva career from the James Gang, through Barnstorm and on into the Eagles. He is a very talented and versatile musician. Check out his keyboard playing on "Tend My Garden". Maybe someday I'll have the chance to see him live. Until then...

"Stop, if you keep it up I'm gonna go through floor!"

No comments:

Post a Comment