Thursday, July 30, 2009

A Man and his Guitar!



What more can be said about Jimi Hendrix? Not a whole lot. I have nothing new to add except my first impression and thoughts about him as a pioneer rock guitarist. I first heard him on AM radio back in the late sixties. It might have been Purple Haze or Foxey Lady. Man, did he sound different. I was used to guitarists like Eric Clapton, Alvin Lee and Pete Townsend. Jimi turned the guitar sound upside down.

My first album was "Are You Experienced?" followed by "Greatest Hits then "Band of Gypsy's". I tried to imitate him the best I could considering my talent at that time. I could figure out a chord or two but, difficult? Oh Yeah!

After seeing him play on the film, Woodstock, I pretty much gave up. Now, thirty some odd years later, I still have difficulty imitating(!) him. It seemed like whatever popped in his mind came out his hands on the fretboard. I'm still simply amazed whenever I hear or see him on youtube. It's crazy what he accomplished in three short years as the Jimi Hendrix Experience. It's even more amazing the absolute plethora of Hendrix recordings released over the years. It is almost like he never left the planet. Listen to Frank Marino (of Mahogany Rush) or Robin Trower or even Dan Hartman (of Edgar Winter Group) doing a turn on the Stratocaster channeling Hendrix during the middle of "Lets get it on".

He's still amongst us. Smoking a cigarette and saying only "cowboys are in tune"...

Peace out until next time, Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment